PDA

View Full Version : pros/cons

Corny22385
12-26-2012, 04:31 PM
So I recently aquired mop ce for Xmas and was weighing the pros and cons of opening it and playing and returning it. Mind you I wouldn't jump into hardcore raiding right away even if I installed it. Just give opinions of how this expansion is better or worse briefly and ill be happy. Who are you and can I buy the pet/mount are not acceptable answers.

Cheers!

fades
12-26-2012, 04:39 PM
wow that's like giving a recovering addict some drugs for x-mas.

Deuce
12-26-2012, 04:43 PM
So, you're gulpy http://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/15f5kx/ive_been_clean_for_two_years_why_dad_why_xpost/

Sukotto
12-26-2012, 04:57 PM
a lot of people i knew quit this expansion, including the 2 that have already posted. it's the same thing its always been the content now is bearable like it has always been it just depends on how fast they release new content and right now it looks like thats gonna be pretty soon. I quit raiding myself awhile ago and just been playing casually and its still boring. Requires tons of dailies and farming to get ahead that take countless hours. Or getting valor capped that takes even longer. The game rquires more time than ever and I would say return it.

sizenomatter
12-26-2012, 05:35 PM
Daedeth is right. The game is as it's always been except now there are a ton of dailies. It's like vanilla but without the challenge (think ubrs/strat ud/scholo...or the elites in EPL)...everything can be done mindlessly by anyone regardless of skill or gear. There are some neat perks like tillers, scenarios, or challenge modes but if you didn't enjoy the game before you won't enjoy the game again.

Shaft
12-26-2012, 05:46 PM
To me it looks like the same old shit. Maybe you'd still find it fun, maybe you wouldn't. Always hard to say.

As far as grinding/reps/dailies are concerned, I personally don't think it's that bad, lot of misconception there. Although capping Valor Points every week is more tedious than it should here. Look at the reps:

The Order of the Cloud Serpents *
The Anglers *
The Tillers *
The Lorewalkers *
The Golden Lotus
August Celestials
Shado-pan
The Klaxxi
Dominance Offensive

The first four factions, marked with an asterisk, do not have any type of valor gear associated with the rep. Cloud serpents just lets you ride their mounts, Anglers is another mount and fishing bullshit, Lorewalkers is even more useless. The rewards involved with Tillers is quite valuable, it's hard to quickly explain how it works, but again, it has no valor point gear associated with that reputation so you could theoretically not do all of these until you give a fuck, whenever that might be. It isn't required. The August Celestians and Shado-pan dailies are not unlocked until you're revered with The Golden Lotus. These 3, along with The Klaxxi and Dominance Offensive (DO is new to the 5.1 patch) all do have valor gear associated with the reps. It's worth noting that you only need to get revered with these factions, there is no additional gear for sale at exalted, only mounts, tabards, and other useless things. And most important of all, this gear is already outdated as it is, and depending on what your gear looks like, most players at a raiding caliber would probably use their valor points to upgrade their gear. Yep, you can use 750 valor points to upgrade a piece of gear 4 item levels, with a maximum of two upgrades per item.

As far as the raiding content is concerned, who knows? Some people just straight up say "I think this instance is boring" or "I think this boss encounter is boring" and I don't know what to say to that at all. Bosses are bosses, how much different can they possibly make them year in and year out? For the record, I think the game overall is fine, it just depends on weather this stuff still excites you or not. I raid casual.

Gearing

This tier has 3 raid instances for a total of 17 bosses. First two instances have 6 bosses, and the last one has 5. All of this shit is broken up into 5 LFR raids--you were around for that during the Dragon Soul tier, right? Also worth noting that there's two world bosses, and they're both loot pinatas. The Sha of Anger spawns very frequently and drops tier pieces and pvp gear, and Galleon is a rare spawn and it's hard to get a tag (but his gear is quickly becoming outdated too). Supposedly the next tier will have one instance and 12 bosses, with a 13th heroic only sinestra-esque final boss. Also two more world boss loot pinatas, and they're going to make it so you don't even need to tag these bosses as a group. If you fight it, you have a chance at loot.

You are able to queue for LFR (that is, meet the ilevel requirement) as soon as you hit 90 with only leveling rewards and the tailoring/leatherworking/blacksmithing crap you can buy for cheap off the AH.

All in all, they're trying to make the game accessible to new and returning players as much as possible.The only real drag is capping valor every week, as well as obtaining 90 Lesser Charms of Good Fortune, which are very valuable too (90 Lesser Charms is equal to 3 Greater Charms, and these give you additional chance at loot from bosses. You can only get 3 Greater Charms per week). You can still do heroics and LFR to get valor points, and regular raiding bosses give valor too.

Oh yeah, Justice Points is still around, but the rewards associated with those are beyond useless. It did kind of suck not being able to use Justice Points to purchase 5-man heroic quality gear, I don't know why they disposed of that.

I typed out more than I thought I would

Itchyy
12-26-2012, 06:02 PM
If you enjoy progression raiding then this tier is fine / better than most of cata, most comparable to tier 11 in terms of number of bosses / different mechanics (first tier of cata). Everything else is filler really and you don't really need to do dailies / charms / shit, its just extra stuff for the more hardcore people / people with extra time on their hands.

Corny22385
12-26-2012, 06:10 PM
Tl;dr shaft

Fred
12-26-2012, 07:01 PM
Basically, it's pretty fun content, the next tier is supposed to be as good as Ulduar if not better. There's a lot of new stuff like Tillers (Farmville), Pet battles (Pokemon), new BGs to keep you busy. You can easily cap valor by doing LFR, your dailies to get your Elder Charms and that's about it.

Sukotto
12-26-2012, 07:30 PM
very time consuming was my point

if you want to do all the shit to get ahead and get some of the cool stuff it takes time and tbh i dont think its worth it, you can get charms to roll on loot an additional time for a chance to win or you can get extra mounts/tabards with rep.

Fred
12-26-2012, 07:51 PM
You don't have to get the Charms. If you do, it's a nice way to give yourself 10% more chance to get loot of a certain boss you need items from. It is not mandatory. And even if it was, doing 7 dailies per day takes about 15 minutes max (you need 45 per week to get your charms, unless you procrastinate and do it the day before the reset.)

Saying it's not worth it is your opinion and I respect that, but not everyone feels the same as you.

Riou
12-26-2012, 10:04 PM
Don't do it corn

Corny22385
12-26-2012, 10:08 PM
you bring up a valid point riou

Riou
12-26-2012, 10:31 PM
don't make me go on a rant

just return it and stock up on steam sales

zerix
12-26-2012, 10:54 PM
pros; nothing
cons; everything

http://alachuapolitix.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/thumbs-up.jpg

medkit
12-28-2012, 12:46 PM
It's like an ex-gf. Sometimes you think you want it back, but if you spend longer than 15 minutes with it, you'll see why you left in the first place.

Fred
12-28-2012, 01:26 PM
Or wonder why you left her in the first place.

Savedyou
12-28-2012, 04:40 PM
I had a lot less fun leveling and trying to play this expansion than any of the previous ones.

It might be worth more unopened on ebay or some shit a year from now, just a thought.