Register

If you already have an account with us, please use the login panel below to access your account.

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Thread: Anime Thread

Saturn and Uranus were originally a lesbian couple, they had to change the dialog in the English Dubs

Quote Originally Posted by Cornix View Post
    Saturn and Uranus were originally a lesbian couple, they had to change the dialog in the English Dubs
    It was Uranus and Neptune. And pretty much every other character in the show was in love with moon. The manga got weird from what I understood

Blog Entries
    I'm somewhat interested in watching the original Sailor Moon episodes directed by Ikuhara because I'm a fan of his work (http://wikimoon.org/index.php?title=Kunihiko_Ikuhara) as my previous posts can attest to with Mawaru Penguindrum and Yuri Kuma Arashi mentions. However, I don't really have an interest in watching any of the rest of it, so, I may not ever do that. RIP?

On that note, Yuri Kuma Arashi finished yesterday and it was an undeniably great series--however, it did feel too short and very dense in structure with very few sub-plots and felt like more of a bee-line through until the end. Still, makes its debut on my top 20 at number 14.

My greatest regret is not having watched Revolutionary Girl Utena yet. It is definitely an anime that I won't watch idly (playing Hearthstone and watching comedy-centric anime, for example) but finding the time for it has been a challenge. I don't want to hype it too much for myself, but, it seems absolutely like everything I would want in an anime outside of science fiction.

Blog Entries
    edit: forum doublepost, ooooops

edit2: using it as a Log Horizon post

so, Log Horizon season 2 finished, and with it the adaptation of most of the existing source material. The writing was inconsistent, the animation was terrible, but it still offered a compelling view point in an entertaining way. There was a certain 'buzz word' that gets thrown around--'gamer psychology,'--that is most at home in Log Horizon. When it comes down to it, most of us as gamers approach things in a similar way, and the breadth of our differences is oft less than that of gamers and non-gamers. Log Horizon brings gamer psychology into intimate contact with the rest of the world, that is, gamers making their way through the world. How does gamer psychology fit into government? socio-economic policies? trade? war? family? jobs and careers? Log Horizon frames these questions and entertains in their stride, by giving us a world that is familiar enough.

While the action and raid sequences are few, and their animation quality leaving much to be desired, they are still true to form and compelling. The highs of character and plot development manifested later in this season, and in some cases didn't manifest at all in the first. While a direct hit to the production quality was taken, I believe this season still manages to trump the first. What the series really lacks is polish--if given a ufotable treatment like fate (which, as much as its fan base will disagree, has a far more compelling anime adaptation than source material) or a Shaft treatment like Monogatari, it could be a timeless masterwork. Sadly, this is not the case for what it is now, and it is unclear whether it will be continued at all, if even this decade.

Log Horizon 2 earns an 8/10, because that is the absolute highest I can give it, because the ideas it brings to the table succeed in spite of the tremendous issues that the rest of the series brings.
    Last edited by Mathies; 03-31-2015 at 05:48 PM.

Blog Entries
    NEW SEASON HYPE?

Best Sequel/Continuation:

OreGairu 2 (short hand)
    (Romaji Title: Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Comedy wa Machigatteiru)
    (English Popular Title: My Teen Romantic Comedy SNAFU)
    (English Literal Title: My youth romantic comedy is wrong as I expected.)

Terrible naming conventions aside, Season One was an absolute blast. Once described as Catcher in the Rye, anime style, the show follows a flawed protagonist and his warped view of the world around him. While not likely to appear in your literature classes any time soon, the characters are great and the humor played off of them is first class. Season One, while not particularly poor in the animation department, was done by a different studio--and season two upped the ante and with the success of season one, a large budget. An amazing looking show by all counts now, episode one of this season was amazing and I can't imagine the rest of this season not following up.

Best New Series:

Plastic Memories

When it comes to new and original shows, Plastic Memories has quite the pedigree;

Director: Fujiwara Yoshiyuki; Engaged to the Unidentified, GJ-bu (Two successful recent shows with a lot of well written moe characters.)
    Writer: Hayashi Naotaka; Steins;Gate, other Science Adventure V/Ns, Bravely Default (You should recognize those!)

So far, the premise is more firmly grounded in science-fiction than Steins;Gate ever was and is largely reminiscent of Time of Eve (number 4 on my top list) and human-robot-relations novels like Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? and somehow being crossed with the humor and character design of Engaged to the Unidentified. While Engaged WAS very cute and often funny, it did have a significant grounded and serious side and a similar feeling is definitely felt in this show.

This isn't vanilla science-fiction, nor is it your standard drama or comedy. It is some mix that seemed to hit the right feelings at the right time, and could definitely end up being the run away hit of the season--or critically successful and a commercial flop. It hits an intersection of the otherwise unrelated genres that I like, and that crossing could easily alienate fans of either--but, here's hoping it captivates everyone instead.

Special Mentions:

fate/stay night: Unlimited Blade Works (continuation)
    Well, Unlimited Budget Works is back and it looks prettier than ever. Not much to say--its a fan-favorite and dominating force in the anime industry already, though the cheesy dialogue and not-so-subtle fan service is definitely in full effect. fate/zero remains a far more compelling series but as far as action-centric entertainment goes, f/sn:ubw is a worthwhile investment of your time.

Gunslinger Stratos
    Don't.

Is it wrong to try and pick up girls in a dungeon?
    Also don't.

Shokugeki no Souma because food

can we make a new forum place for this shit?

Anime is weird. You've posted about new season like 5 times in 5 months.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Marza View Post
    Anime is weird. You've posted about new season like 5 times in 5 months.
    wat? there was the winter season and now the spring season

Quote Originally Posted by Mathies View Post
    wat? there was the winter season and now the spring season

What do you think of the new Deathnote movie? I thought it was better than the reviewers said.

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112